Busy summer of construction projects on tap in Middletown
Heavy equipment, workers in hard hats, orange signs, yellow tape, and construction vehicles will be familiar sites this summer in Middletown as a host of major projects get underway.
The outcome will be worth the hassles. Improved infrastructure; smooth, new road surfaces; bigger, safer bridges, and an attractive downtown ready to invite revitalization all await.
To be certain, there are bound to be moments of frustration. Detours will be plentiful. Trips that usually take five minutes might take 15.
But as those old PennDOT road construction signs once proclaimed, these will be temporary inconveniences for permanent improvements.
By the end of it all, the result will be long overdue enhancements to Borough roads, sewers, and water mains, along with a pair of new crossings over the Swatara Creek. For good measure, throw in some sound barriers along the Turnpike that will make backyard barbecues just a little more serene.
We will use this section to provide updates, as warranted, as the many projects move along.
UPDATES:‣ Downtown streetscape enhancements set to get underway
‣ Contractor to fix street cuts on Main St.; PennDOT paving prep gets underway
‣ Turnpike bridge update 10-28-2015
‣ Days of detours become days of the past for Main Street
‣ Main Street infrastructure project nears completion
‣ Main Street to be open Fourth of July weekend
‣ Contractor: Project is on schedule
‣ Innovative technique will save money, speed 230 project